Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sharing the Show

It was a last-minute decision, mostly because I’d forgotten all about it, but I got out to a local guild quilt show a couple of days ago.  What a treat!  It was better than the annual Sewing and Crafts Show.  Quilts, of course, and a couple of challenges, Quilts of Valor, and vendors.  There were vendors from all over BC, as well as one from Saskatchewan.  I felt like I was traveling, and it was so nice to revisit shops that I’ve actually visited in our travels.  They came from Vancouver, Abbotsford, Surrey, Vanderhoof, Grand Forks, Chilliwack, Victoria, Port Alberni, Gibson’s Landing.  It was fantastic! 

Actually I didn’t do much shopping, picked up a couple of fat quarters that I think will work with a future quilt I have in mind and have been gathering fabrics for a while, a spool of thread, and some MistyFuse (my favorite fusible web).

But the show, the whole reason for it all, and the reason for this post.  I am always so amazed and inspired by the quilters out there, so here are the pics, just a few for you to enjoy:

This first quilt caught my eye because of the border, bargello style that looks like waves:

CAM00038

Pennsylvania Dutch, piecing and applique, simply striking:

CAM00043

Simple squares interlocked, but eye-catching:

CAM00039

Log cabin, this type of quilt has become one of my favorites since I made one last fall.  So many ways to present these simple blocks:

CAM00040

Chenille – it’s hard to see the texture in this quilt in a picture:

CAM00041

Monochromatic, one of my favorite color-ways:

CAM00042

And what grandmother can resist baby/children’s quilts:

CAM00048CAM00060

I’ve read about and seen pictures of Dear Jane quilts, but seeing this one for real brought home how very much work each of these blocks takes.  Literally hundreds of different blocks, and oh, so tiny:

CAM00049

Always good to have a laugh:

CAM00045

Red (or green or blue or black), whatever color is used, there’s something so attractive about 2-color quilts, and combining red-work embroidery – who wouldn’t want to make one of these:

CAM00046

 

CAM00047

Bear’s Paw blocks – this quilt was made for a ‘Mama Bear’:

CAM00065

A memory quilt – preserving all those memories for many years to come, and so attractively:

CAM00066

This picture doesn’t do justice to the texture in this little quilt.  The doily is an actual doily, folded in half and then the applique applied over top:

CAM00051

Seasons – love, love the imagination and creativity in this:

CAM00062

Celtic knots always catch my eye:

CAM00058

A different block for every month of the year, weaving the calendar together:

CAM00063

A Double Wedding Ring – looks like it at first glance, but then when you look closer you discover there are NO curved blocks in this quilt.  It’s called Colorado Wedding:

CAM00064

These owls are gorgeous!  I immediately thought of my DDIL1.  So appreciated the teals and turquoises on the brown background:

CAM00069

And a chair upholstered in a quilt, no how cozy is that:

CAM00067CAM00068

Happy, happy quilt shows!                         Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment