Sunday, June 22, 2014

It Was Just a Dream

I toiled up the hill on my bicycle, working my way around teenagers lolling on the curb with their legs and feet blocking the bike lane, and around the horde of moms and kids that were coming the other direction.  Destination – the hotel at the top of the hill.

When I got there, it was the hotel of my dreams – luxurious, crystal chandeliers, a lounge for reading or chatting, velvet and leather everywhere, Persian rugs.  And it was busy – staff and guests busily moving around, everybody with an apparent purpose.

I approached the registration desk and met Margaret, a delightful customer service rep who had my reservation all ready, and proceeded with the check-in process and then asked for my credit card.  I handed her my Visa, and she swiped it through the machine and handed it back.

Then Jerry the bell-hop was at my side, and just as I asked Margaret a question, he said he’d take care of that right away and off he went, coming back a few minutes later and handing me my Visa card.  I hadn’t realized he’d even taken it, and wondered what he’d been doing with it.  I had to ask him to give me some privacy with Margaret as he seemed to be crowded right against my elbow, and when he left, I asked if we could reverse the charge on my Visa and put the charge on another card, as I was uncomfortable with what Jerry had done with my Visa and wanted to cancel it as soon as I got to my room.

Margaret was hesitant, but eventually went into a back office and I could see her through a window speaking with someone who was apparently a supervisor.  Throughout this, my wallet, with credit cards, had been laying on the counter in front of me.  The supervisor came out to explain that they couldn’t reverse the charges – and suddenly Jerry was there again, handing my wallet back to me!!  When had he taken it, what had he done with it?  I had a headache!!!

And then I woke up – wanting to run for my purse and check my credit cards!  And so thankful when I realized this had all been just a dream!  And reminded that I need to always, always, always keep close tabs on my credit cards and wallet when out there shopping.

Do you give your credit card to the wait staff at a restaurant?

Do you lock your car with your wallet inside when at a gas station?

Do you make sure to get your card back and put it straight away in your wallet when at a cashier?

Yes, it was just a dream, but a dream with a lesson – I think I’ve been reminded!

Happy lessons!             Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment