Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

It’s Wednesday again – time to reveal a little more of myself.  If you want to see how others answer these questions, please follow the link on my right side bar.

1.  According to Oxford Dictionaries, the 2013 word of the year is 'selfie'. Your thoughts? When did you last take a selfie? Do you post them online somewhere? Do you prefer to be in front of the camera or behind the lens?

Interesting that ‘self’ is the basis of the work for 2013.  Wonder what that tells us about our world today – not even going to try to analyze that one.

I don’t think I’ve every taken a selfie.  My phone and camera are just old enough that I can’t look at the monitor and the lens at the same time.  Not so sure I want to see myself while my picture is being taken.  I actually often avoid having my picture taken, just keep the camera in my hands and snap everybody and everything else around me.

2.  Will you send out Christmas Cards this year? If so, are they ready to go? If not, are you glad or sad about leaving that tradition behind?

I send out a few cards every year, to elderly relatives who don’t have computers, and deliver a few to neighbors nearby and friends as we see them over the holiday.  For everybody else, I send out an email card and Christmas letter, just to keep in touch.  I so enjoy getting those cards and letters that I don’t want to stop sending them in case others stop sending to me.

3.  Do you trust easily?

No, at least as far as sharing myself with others.  I hold myself in reserve until I’m sure of the other person.  And if trust is broken, it takes me a while to recover and trust that person again.

4. Pine-cinnamon-peppermint-vanilla (as in sugar cookie)...of those listed, which one is your favorite December scent?

Hmm….how does one pick?  I must say I miss the scent of the pine tree now that we have an artificial tree.  Gotta go with peppermint, though if I have to pick only one – especially when it’s wafting out of my cup of hot chocolate!

5.  Did you do more talking or more listening yesterday?  Was that by choice or by necessity?

I ended up talking more than listening, by necessity.  We went to visit a friend in a care facility, picking up his wife and taking her along so we could visit with both of them at the same time.  With this change in their lives this year, they’ve had to make some financial changes as well, and the bank wanted his signature on some papers.  He’s unable to talk now, and was having some difficulty understanding the paper work.  So I tried to read through it with him, not word by word, but at least giving him the gist of each paragraph.  It is so hard to see a person go from a vital, active, working lifestyle to inability to communicate what he’s thinking and feeling about things – and have you ever tried to keep all questions so that only ‘yes’ and ‘no’ answers are required?

6.  What's the last song that got stuck in your head?  Sorry if it's back there now :  )

Isn’t that funny, right now I can’t remember, and only yesterday I was wishing it would go away!  But it was a Christmas song, I know that for sure.

7.  Which world explorer (in the whole history of the world) would you most like to have traveled with, and why?

Well, it’s probably more like which world explorer can I remember learning about all those years ago in school?  Ummm…..how about Christopher Columbus….he discovered that nice round world and didn’t drop off the edge!!!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Winter has arrived here for sure.  A couple of days ago, I looked out the window early in the day to see this in our streetlight:003

Then later in the day, we had our first power outage – only about 1.5 hours so not too intrusive, but it was right at supper time.  The wind was howling, the rain was drumming.  And yesterday, we saw our first snow – just a skiff and it melted right away, but still….  The mittens and toques have come out!  We’re told we should have a drier than usual winter, but colder than usual – drier I like, colder is only okay as long as it’s not raining, somehow I feel colder when it’s wet outside than I am when it’s just cold.

So here’s to a wonderful winter season!          Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment